Rules & Guidelines
The Goddard Riverside Stephan Russo Book Prize for Social Justice celebrates the power of the written word to create change in the name of justice for all people—a value shared by the publishing community and Goddard Riverside. It is awarded each year at Goddard Riverside’s Book Fair Gala in the fall.
- General Eligibility Eligible works are full-length, nonfiction books with subject matter related to housing, early childhood and secondary education, older adult life, city arts, social policy and other important aspects of community life that support and promote Goddard Riverside’s mission of investing in people and strengthening community. Books must be written in English.
- Release Dates To be eligible for the 2020 Book Prize, nominated books must have been published in the United States between October 1, 2019 and September 30, 2020.
- Deadlines Books are accepted starting in March of 2020. The final deadline to receive books and entry forms is Friday, May 15, 2020.
- Limits There is no limit to the number of books an author or publisher may submit.
- Number of Copies Eight (8) copies of each title should be submitted. For submission purposes, published books and bound galleys or bound manuscripts for books not yet printed will be accepted. Page proofs are not acceptable. •
- Entry Forms One book prize entry form should accompany the eight copies of the book being submitted. Photocopies of the entry form are acceptable. Entry forms and books must be received no later than Friday, May 15, 2020. Publishers are asked to submit books as soon as they are available in order to help spread out the judging panel’s workload.
- Judges’ Decisions Decisions made by the judging panel will be final.
- Application Fee A $75.00 application fee should accompany each book submission.
- Key Dates The shortlist will be announced in September and the winner will be announce at our Annual Gala later in the fall.
- Press releases announcing the shortlist and the winning title will be sent to news outlets.
- Goddard Riverside will promote the shortlist and prize winner on its web and social properties.
- Publishers of winning titles will receive notification and a letter authorizing the use of the medallion on book jackets, and permission to use the book prize logo on other promotional materials.
- Publishers of the shortlisted books and winning title will receive a customize digital press kit.
- The author of the winning title (or their representative) must be present for the Goddard Riverside Book Fair Gala in Fall 2020. •
- The author of the winning title may be asked to participate in readings and other promotional events.
Where to Send Entries and Ask Questions
Send the entry form, books and application fee to:
Goddard Riverside Book Prize
Goddard Riverside Community Center
593 Columbus Avenue
New York, NY 10024
Questions? Trish Anderton at firstname.lastname@example.org or (212) 873-6600, Ext. 1023