Rules & Guidelines
The Goddard Riverside Stephan Russo Book Prize celebrates the power of the written word to create change in the name of justice for all people—a value shared by the publishing community and Goddard Riverside Community Center. It will be given each year at Goddard Riverside's Book Fair Gala in the fall.
- General Eligibility Eligible works include full-length, nonfiction books with subject matter related to housing, early childhood and secondary education, older adult life, city arts, social
policy and other important aspects of community life that support and promote
Goddard Riverside's mission. Books must be written in English.
- Release Dates To be eligible for the 2019 Book Prize, nominated books must have been published in the United States between October 1, 2018 and September 30, 2019.
- Deadlines Books are accepted starting in March of 2019. The final deadline to receive
books and entry forms is Friday, May 17, 2019.
- Limits There is no limit to the number of books an author or publisher may submit.
- Eligibility Disputes In the event of a dispute as to eligibility, the book prize committee will decide whether a book is eligible, and their decision will be binding.
- Judges Decisions Decisions made by the judging panel will be final.
- Number of Copies Eight (8) copies of each title should be submitted. For submission purposes, published books and bound galleys or bound manuscripts for books not
yet printed will be accepted. Page proofs are not acceptable.
- Entry Forms One book prize entry form should accompany the eight copies of the book
being submitted. Photocopies of the entry form are acceptable. Entry forms and books
must be received no later than Friday, May 17, 2019. Publishers are asked to submit
books as soon as they are available to help spread out judging panel's work load.
- Application Fee A $75.00 application fee should accompany each book submission.
- Press releases announcing the winning title will be sent to selected newspapers, web
sites, corporate buyers, periodicals and wire services.
- Winning titles along with reviews, cover scans, and publisher links will appear on the
Goddard Riverside Book Prize web site (www.bookprize.goddard.org).
- Publishers of winning titles will receive notification and a letter authorizing the use
of the Goddard Riverside Book Prize medallion on book jackets, and permission to use
the book prize logo on other promotional materials.
- Author of the winning title must be present for the Goddard Riverside Book Fair Gala in
- Author of the winning title may be asked to participate in readings and other
Where to Send Entries and Ask Questions
Send the entry form, books and application fee to:
Goddard Riverside Book Prize
Goddard Riverside Community Center
593 Columbus Avenue
New York, NY 10024
Questions? Jenny Pfister: email@example.com or (212) 873-6600, Ext. 1021